Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summer 2012

Summer is finally here!  I'm a teacher so summer certainly means rest for me.  It is also the time for me to do all things I said I would "do once summer arrives" and wow, that is a long list!  The first thing I've been telling myself that I will "do once it's summer," is workout (again).  I'm now on day 2 of "summer" and found myself going through a list of excuses as to why today wasn't a good day to workout...oh, how the mind plays tricks!

I made a purposeful decision to listen to a podcast (Dave Ramsey) and walked on an incline on a treadmill for 20 minutes, then, I alternated with 90 second sprints and 90 second recover walks for the remaining 20 minutes.  All in all, a great workout and just the mental push I needed to get started.

I can't help but see the connection between money and weight...I convince myself to spend more than I should, I rationalize "needs" when some may seem them as "wants", I justify spending money eating and drinking at restaurants (the calorie intake also a negative consequence) because I deserve it...all of these actions affecting my wallet and my thighs.

Self discipline.  I need more of this.  I need to practice this and really step away from the moment to make choices that will benefit me-saving money/working out/losing weight/getting out of debt.

So with all that said, should I be embarrassed to say that I'm meeting friends for Happy Hour in about two hours?  Or, can this be a moment to really grow in self discipline?  I have personal, budgeted blow money that I'm using...I won't order more than 1 drink and watch what I order for food.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment